As a leader in the tourism and hospitality community, Tourism Windsor Essex Pelee Island recognizes our role and responsibility in ensuring the health and safety of our partners as well as visitors to Windsor, Essex County and Pelee Island. At this time, we are following recommendations from our municipal, provincial and federal governments to implement safety precautions and reviewing how we proceed. We are working proactively to support our region during this time, and will continue to share information as it is received from our partners.
COVID-19 Health and Safety Updates & VISITOR INFORMATION
The Tourism Windsor Essex Pelee Island Offices are currently closed to the public. You can find information on the region by searching out website, or by calling 519-255-6530 during regular business hours M-F 8:30am through 4:30pm. You can also contact email@example.com for any inquiries or use out ChatBot (on the righthand side of the screen) for more information.
- The Ontario Tourism Information Centre is currently closed
- The Caesars Windsor kiosk is currently closed
- The Amherstburg Cabin is closed for the season
PROVINCIAL FRAMEWORK TO REOPENING
As of 12am on Thursday January 14th the Province of Ontario has declared a State of Emergency, which impacts the service levels at all establishments in the region. To learn more click here.
Travel within the region is not encouraged, and those are encouraged to stay home and stay safe until it is deemed safe to begin leisure travel again.
Please click the below for additional details on how this State of Emergency impacts businesses.
- Events and social gatherings are not permitted. Outdoor services are permitted to five people.
- Face coverings required indoors at all work and public spaces
- Physical distancing must be maintained
Restaurants, bars and other food and drink establishments
- Indoor and outdoor service prohibited
- Take out & delivery permitted, including alcohol
Sports and recreational fitness facilities
Meeting and event spaces
- Traditional retail is permitted to be open between the hours of 7am and 8pm, providing curbside pick up or delivery
- Supermarkets, grocery stores, convenience stores, other retailers selling groceries, beer and wine and liquor stores, pharmacies, safety supply stores and pet supply stores permitted to be open for in-person shopping at a reduced capacity.
Casinos, bingo halls and gaming establishments
- Permitted to be open for curbside pick-up or delivery
ALL OTHER ATTRACTIONS
HOTELS & MOTELS
- Open, except for pools fitness centres and other recreational spaces
Please plan ahead and contact any businesses or attractions prior to visiting for updated services and hours.
Steps To Prevent Illness
Our local health authority, The Windsor-Essex County Health Unit is recommending that in order to prevent the spread of Coronavirus individuals should:
- wash hands frequently and avoid facial contact;
- avoid contact with sick individuals;
- stay home from work when ill;
- ensure to properly clean high-touch surfaces, especially in your public spaces like washrooms, restaurants, elevators and work spaces;
- where possible, consider making alcohol-based hand sanitizer available for your guests and employees.
As the situation continues to evolve quickly, we encourage you to reference the Windsor Essex County Health Unit website for the latest regional updates.
Businesses are also required to provide alcohol based hand rub at entrance and exit points. For full details on the rules please click here.
The World Travel & Tourism Council has created ‘Safe Travels’ – a certification program that will allow travelers to recognize governments and companies around the world which have adopted health and hygiene global standardized protocols – so consumers can experience ‘Safe Travels’.
Eligible businesses can display the badge to showcase their status – and Tourism Windsor Essex is proud to announce that we were the first Destination Marketing Organization in Ontario to receive the certification.
Part of our protocols include providing the public & private sectors with the insights & toolkits for interaction & implementation to ensure that people are and feel safe. It is paramount to have common rules. Ultimately, we envision a future of travel which is safe, secure, seamless and provides an authentic and meaningful experience to the traveler across the journey; one which supports the livelihoods of millions and contributes to sustainable economic growth. For more details on the program click here.
Interested business adhering to the policies locally can apply for the certification for free.
Click “What’s Open” for a list of major attractions & Windsor & Essex County that have opened their doors to visitors. In addition, click on the icon below to find out more details on some of our major attractions and their reopening details.
- Devonshire Mall is open for curbside pick up only, or for essential service locations. Click here for more details. Current mall hours are:
- Monday to Saturday 11am – 6pm
- Sunday 11am to 5pm
- Tecumseh Mall is open for curbside pick up only, or for essential service locations. Click here for more details. Current mall hours are:
- Monday to Friday 11am to 7pm
- Saturday 11am to 6pm
- Sunday 12pm to 5pm
- Windsor Crossing Premium Outlets is open for curbside pickup only. Click here for more details. Current mall hours are:
- Monday to Friday 11am to 8pm
- Saturday 11am to 6pm
- Sunday 12pm to 5pm
- Caesars Windsor is closed to the public. Please click here for more details.
- VIA Rail is operating at reduced capacity. Click here for details.
- Windsor International Airport is operating at a reduced capacity, with Air Canada offering two flights daily from Windsor to Toronto. Porter Airlines is currently temporarily closed. Please contact the airport or airlines directly for additional questions.
- Owen Sound Transportation operating ferry service to Pelee Island has closed for the season. Learn more: ontarioferries.com and 511on.ca.
- Adventure Bay Family Water Park is temporarily closed, though the Windsor International Aquatic and Training Centre is operating lanes at a reduced capacity.
Several accommodation providers within our city are closed. Please ensure you check the status of operations with businesses directly. Social gatherings are limited to 50 people. Non-essential in-person gatherings of any size continue to be strongly discouraged.
For information on international border crossing and how COVID-19 is impacting travel please click crossingmadeeasy.com. Effective 12:01 am March 21, 2020, entry in to Canada is prohibited to non-essential travel, and only to residents of Canada and the United States and/or immediate family planning to visit. Entry will not be permitted to all other foreign nationals.
Check out our helpful guides (below) on locations still open in our region offering service.
For a list of restaurants and other establishments providing food take-out and delivery service please click here, including details on #TakeOutTuesday.
For a list of wineries offering pick-up and delivery service please click here, including details on #WineOrderWednesday.
For a list of breweries & distilleries offering pick-up and delivery service please click here, including details on #FillUpFriday.
Join in the positive vibe in the region – and share your good news pictures and stories about Windsor Essex with us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram using #YQGStandsStrong. Click here for details.
For an update list of RESOURCES, WEBINARS and HEALTH RECOMMENDATIONS for local businesses please check out our COVID-19 RESOURCE HUB.