As a leader in the tourism and hospitality community, Tourism Windsor Essex Pelee Island recognizes our role and responsibility in ensuring the health and safety of our partners as well as visitors to Windsor, Essex County and Pelee Island. At this time, we are following recommendations from our municipal, provincial and federal governments to implement safety precautions and reviewing how we proceed. We are working proactively to support our region during this time, and will continue to share information as it is received from our partners.
COVID-19 Health and Safety Updates & VISITOR INFORMATION
The Tourism Windsor Essex Pelee Island Offices are open for your assistance between 8:30am and 4:30pm Monday through Friday. General inquiries can be sent to 519-255-6530. You can also contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any inquiries.
- The Ontario Tourism Information Centre open Thursday through Saturday 10:00am – 4:00pm
- The Caesars Windsor kiosk is currently closed
- The Amherstburg Cabin is closed for the season
PROVINCIAL FRAMEWORK TO REOPENING
As of 12am on Monday November 30th the Windsor Essex Region is in the ‘Red – Control’ phase of the provinces framework for reopening. To learn more click here.
- Events and social gatherings limited to 5 indoors /25 outdoors
- Face coverings required indoors at all work and public spaces
- Physical distancing must be maintained
Restaurants, bars and other food and drink establishments
- Require patrons to be seated; 2 metre minimum between tables
- Maximum 10 patrons in a restaurant space
- Limit of 4 people seated together
- Dancing, singing and performing music is permitted, with restrictions
- No buffet style service
- Face coverings except when eating or drinking only
- Liquor sold or served only between 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Establishments must be closed between 10 p.m. ad 5 a.m.
- Require contact information for all seated patrons
Sports and recreational fitness facilities
- Capacity limits to 10 indoors /25 outdoors
Meeting and event spaces
- Maximum of 10 people indoors and 25 people outdoors
- Booking multiple rooms for the same event not permitted
- Similar seating and dining restrictions to restaurants
- Fitting rooms must be limited to non-adjacent stalls
- Line-ups and patrons congregating outside venues managed by venue; 2 metre distance and face covering required
- Screening of patrons prior to entry
Casinos, bingo halls and gaming establishments
- Capacity cannot exceed 10 people indoors or 25 people outdoors
- Table games are prohibited
- Closed except for drive in scenarios
Performing arts facilities
Please plan ahead and contact any businesses or attractions prior to visiting for updated services and hours.
Steps To Prevent Illness
Our local health authority, The Windsor-Essex County Health Unit is recommending that in order to prevent the spread of Coronavirus individuals should:
- wash hands frequently and avoid facial contact;
- avoid contact with sick individuals;
- stay home from work when ill;
- ensure to properly clean high-touch surfaces, especially in your public spaces like washrooms, restaurants, elevators and work spaces;
- where possible, consider making alcohol-based hand sanitizer available for your guests and employees.
As the situation continues to evolve quickly, we encourage you to reference the Windsor Essex County Health Unit website for the latest regional updates.
Businesses are also required to provide alcohol based hand rub at entrance and exit points. For full details on the rules please click here.
The World Travel & Tourism Council has created ‘Safe Travels’ – a certification program that will allow travellers to recognise governments and companies around the world which have adopted health and hygiene global standardised protocols – so consumers can experience ‘Safe Travels’.
Eligible businesses can display the badge to showcase their status – and Tourism Windsor Essex is proud to announce that we were the first Destination Marketing Organization in Ontario to receive the certification.
Part of our protocols include providing the public & private sectors with the insights & toolkits for interaction & implementation to ensure that people are and feel safe. It is paramount to have common rules. Ultimately, we envision a future of travel which is safe, secure, seamless and provides an authentic and meaningful experience to the traveller across the journey; one which supports the livelihoods of millions and contributes to sustainable economic growth. For more details on the program click here.
Interested business adhering to the policies locally can apply for the certification for free.
Windsor Essex is currently in the Yellow-Protect Phase of the Province’s Reopening Ontario framework. For more details on the reopening procedures and locations permitted to be open please click here.
Click “What’s Open” for a list of major attractions & Windsor & Essex County that have opened their doors to visitors. In addition, click on the icon below to find out more details on some of our major attractions and their reopening details.
- Devonshire Mall is open, though some stores may be currently closed. Click here for more details and a list of open retailers. Current mall hours are:
- Monday to Saturday 10am until 7pm
- Sunday 11am to 5pm.
- Tecumseh Mall is open, though some stores may be currently closed. Click here for more details and a list of open retailers. Current mall hours are:
- Monday to Friday 11am to 7pm
- Saturday 11am to 6pm
- Sunday 11pm to 5pm
- Windsor Crossing Premium Outlets is open. Click here for more details and a list of open retailers. Current mall hours are:
- Monday to Saturday 11am to 6pm
- Sunday 11am to 5pm
- Caesars Windsor is closed to the public, and only open to invited guests at this time. Please click here for more details.
- VIA Rail is operating at reduced capacity. Click here for details.
- Windsor International Airport is operating at a reduced capacity, with Air Canada offering two flights daily from Windsor to Toronto. Porter Airlines is currently temporarily closed. Please contact the airport or airlines directly for additional questions.
- Owen Sound Transportation is operating ferry service between Pelee Island and Kingsville at 50% capacity. Advanced reservations required. Learn more: ontarioferries.com and 511on.ca.
- Adventure Bay Family Water Park is temporarily closed, though the Windsor International Aquatic and Training Centre is operating lanes at a reduced capacity.
Several accommodation providers within our city are closed. Please ensure you check the status of operations with businesses directly. Social gatherings are limited to 50 people. Non-essential in-person gatherings of any size continue to be strongly discouraged.
For information on international border crossing and how COVID-19 is impacting travel please click crossingmadeeasy.com. Effective 12:01 am March 21, 2020, entry in to Canada is prohibited to non-essential travel, and only to residents of Canada and the United States and/or immediate family planning to visit. Entry will not be permitted to all other foreign nationals.
All bars, nightclubs and restaurants in Windsor & Essex County remain closed, except those providing take-out service or delivery. Check out our helpful guides (below) on locations still open in our region offering service.
For a list of restaurants and other establishments providing food take-out and delivery service please click here, including details on #TakeOutTuesday.
For a list of wineries offering pick-up and delivery service please click here, including details on #WineOrderWednesday.
For a list of breweries & distilleries offering pick-up and delivery service please click here, including details on #FillUpFriday.
Join in the positive vibe in the region – and share your good news pictures and stories about Windsor Essex with us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram using #YQGStandsStrong. Click here for details.
For an update list of RESOURCES, WEBINARS and HEALTH RECOMMENDATIONS for local businesses please check out our COVID-19 RESOURCE HUB.