Below are links to information and advice from official authorities regarding the current COVID-19 outbreak. The information around this outbreak is changing rapidly. Below are trusted sources for the most up-to-date information on COVID-19. novel coronavirus.
As of 12am on Thursday January 14th the Province of Ontario has declared a State of Emergency, which impacts the service levels at all establishments in the region. To learn more click here.
Travel within the region is not encouraged, and those are encouraged to stay home and stay safe until it is deemed safe to begin leisure travel again.
Please click the below for additional details on how this State of Emergency impacts businesses.
- Events and social gatherings are not permitted. Outdoor services are permitted to five people.
- Face coverings required indoors at all work and public spaces
- Physical distancing must be maintained
Restaurants, bars and other food and drink establishments
- Indoor and outdoor service prohibited
- Take out & delivery permitted, including alcohol
Sports and recreational fitness facilities
Meeting and event spaces
- Traditional retail is permitted to be open between the hours of 7am and 8pm, providing curbside pick up or delivery
- Supermarkets, grocery stores, convenience stores, other retailers selling groceries, beer and wine and liquor stores, pharmacies, safety supply stores and pet supply stores permitted to be open for in-person shopping at a reduced capacity.
Casinos, bingo halls and gaming establishments
- Permitted to be open for curbside pick-up or delivery
ALL OTHER ATTRACTIONS
HOTELS & MOTELS
- Open, except for pools fitness centres and other recreational spaces
Please review the Keeping Ontario Safe and Open website for full details and business restrictions.
The Tourism Adaption Fund has been released in partnership with Southwest Ontario Tourism Corporation and Tourism Windsor Essex Pelee Island. The fund is tourism-oriented small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs), Not For Profit organizations (NFPs) and Indigenous Communities, to support one time adaptation and reopening costs, retroactive to June 1st, 2020 and completed by December 31st, 2021. Recipients must contribute a minimum of 20% of total project costs.
Check out our business resources page for more information and to apply today. Applications close January 29th at 11:59pm.
Additional funding opportunities currently exist, in addition to the Tourism Adaptation Fund.
Respond, Restart & Recover Plan
On August 15th we released an update version of our Respond, Restart & Recover Plan, our map to responding and recovering from COVID-19 in the Tourism & Hospitality industry; this edition more-so addressing the Restart phase. Please click here to review the updated plan.
Our team is continually searching and updating information that is relevant to you and your business. Please click on the pages below for information that can help you now, and into the future.
Steps To Prevent Illness
Our local health authority, The Windsor-Essex County Health Unit is recommending that in order to prevent the spread of Coronavirus individuals should:
- wash hands frequently and avoid facial contact;
- avoid contact with sick individuals;
- stay home from work when ill;
- ensure to properly clean high-touch surfaces, especially in your public spaces like washrooms, restaurants, elevators and work spaces;
- where possible, consider making alcohol-based hand sanitizer available for your guests and employees.
As the situation continues to evolve quickly, we encourage you to reference the Windsor Essex County Health Unit website for the latest regional updates.
Please contact the Tourism Windsor Essex team with questions or concerns. Our team values the health and safety of everyone in our region – our staff, visitors, and our industry partners.
Tourism Windsor Essex Pelee Island is the official Destination Marketing Organization (DMO) for the regional tourism industry. We are a not-for-profit organization that is dedicated to promoting and selling Windsor, Essex and Pelee Island as a remarkable destination for tourist, convention goers and business travelers. To view our mission and mandate please click here.