Small Business Centre Recommends
Locally produced – given with love! That’s what happens when you give a locally made & bought gift during the holidays. You’re giving something unique – something original – and support local business, and helping build up entrepreneurs and keeping dollars in our own community!
5 Ways to bring holiday joy to small businesses
Small independent businesses are the driving force in our local economy and contribute immensely to the vibrancy of our neighbourhoods. We all play a part in their survival, especially during challenging economic times. Here are a few ways you can support small businesses in your community during the holiday season and beyond.
- Spread the word. Let others know about your favourite businesses by leaving a positive review or testimonial on their website, or like and share their content on social media. Word of mouth referrals are a great way to drum up support for small businesses.
- Commit to purchasing gifts locally. Attend local artisan fairs, shop at main street businesses or on their e-commerce websites. Not sure what to buy someone? Purchasing a gift card is a great way to ensure your loved ones can pick out a unique local product.
- Reach out. Connect with local independent businesses by subscribing to businesses’ social media, emails and newsletters. Keeping abreast of sales and new product offerings means you’re more likely to shop at those businesses.
- Order takeout. Even if you’re not keen on dining indoors right now, ordering takeout from your favourite local restaurant or caterer is a great way to continue supporting food and beverage businesses. Third party delivery apps provide convenience but often charge high fees to restaurants, so consider ordering direct from the restaurant if you can.
- Discover unique experiences. Many businesses offer workshops and classes such as creative art studios, music lessons, cooking and nutrition lessons, fitness classes, and more. Participating in events and workshops helps you stay connected to these businesses and build a community around their services.
Looking for local gift ideas?
5 Foodie Stocking Stuffers:
Grape Leaves Food Garlic Sauce (16oz) $7 | The MushHub Mushroom Jerky $8 | Carrots N’ Dates Peanut Butter Chocolate Donuts $4| Cedar Valley Selections Fattoush Dressing $8 | Little Foot Foods Mix n’ Match Pierogi (4packs) $35
5 Gifts for Her:
Shop Eco Faerhaven Organic Whipped Shea Butter $16 | Aloraflora Jewelry Swarovski Crystal Drop Earrings $50 | Culture Shock Jewelry Howlite Gemstone Bracelet w/Rose Gold Stardust $40 | Pink Sky Body Sugar Raspberry Mojito Sugar Body Scrub $18 | Rain Fitness Boutique Midnight Roses High Rise Leggings $85
5 Sweet Treats:
Auntie Aldoo’s Kitchen Cinnamon Rolls $6 | Cookie Bar Six Pack of Cookies $30 | FRANK Brewing Co. Lemonade Sour 4pk $14 | CHOK Fine Chocolates Handmade Swiss Chocolate Bonbon Box $30 |What’s Poppin’ Popcorn Factory Large Popcorn Pail $17
5 Gifts for Him:
Levigator Press Handbound Reclaimed Paper Notebook $15 | Craft Heads Brewing Co. Mix 6pk of Bottles $17.50 | Behind the Wood Jack Rudy Cocktail Aged Cherries $30 | Emerson Supply Co. Natural Deodorant Spray $16 | Michael Difazio Reclaim Artistry Reclaimed Wood Air Planters |
5 Handmade Gifts:
5 Stylish Finds:
BB Branded WinCity Skyline Tee $30 | RARE Apparel RARE Logo Pom Toque $30 | Gallup Leather Only Essentials Card Holder $20 | Corporal4Life Polite AF Tee $27 | Southwest Shores Grey WE Proud Crewneck Sweatshirt $40
5 Warm & Cozy Gifts
The Hook Pusher Koala Winter Hat $25 | Chance Coffee 12oz Heart Eyes Coffee Blend $17.50 | Little Sheep Yarn Boutique Adult Slouchy Hat $20 | Pieces of Comfort Memory Quilt $100 | Ferme Rivenord Ruscom 500mL Maple Syrup $15
5 Restaurants to Give a Gift Card to:
5 Coffee Shops to Give a Gift Card to:
enter our “42 days of giveaways” contest
We are giving away over $5,000 in gifts! Scour the 2021 Holiday Gift Guide for your chance to win the daily Featured Gift, valued at at least $50! From November 9th to December 18th, we will feature a different item each day with a corresponding icon that you can look for in the Holiday Gift Guide.
To view the rest of our 2021 Holiday Gift Guide, just click here to go back to the main page.
The 2021 Holiday Gift Guide is in partnership with the Windsor-Essex Small Business Centre , the Windsor-Essex Regional Chamber of Commerce, the Ontario Greenhouse & Vegetable Growers Association and our W.E. Made It program created by Tourism Windsor Essex Pelee Island, and partners participating in their programs.