Small Business Centre Recommends
Locally produced – given with love! That’s what happens when you give a locally made & bought gift during the holidays. You’re giving something unique – something original – and support local business, and helping build up entrepreneurs and keeping dollars in our own community!
5 Ways to bring holiday joy to small businesses
Small independent businesses are the driving force in our local economy and contribute immensely to the vibrancy of our neighbourhoods. We all play a part in their survival, especially during challenging economic times. Here are a few ways you can support small businesses in your community during the holiday season and beyond.
- Spread the word. Let others know about your favourite businesses by leaving a positive review or testimonial on their website, or like and share their content on social media. Word of mouth referrals are a great way to drum up support for small businesses.
- Commit to purchasing gifts locally. Attend local artisan fairs, shop at main street businesses or on their e-commerce websites. Not sure what to buy someone? Purchasing a gift card is a great way to ensure your loved ones can pick out a unique local product.
- Reach out. Connect with local independent businesses by subscribing to businesses’ social media, emails and newsletters. Keeping abreast of sales and new product offerings means you’re more likely to shop at those businesses.
- Order takeout. Even if you’re not keen on dining indoors right now, ordering takeout from your favourite local restaurant or caterer is a great way to continue supporting food and beverage businesses. Third party delivery apps provide convenience but often charge high fees to restaurants, so consider ordering direct from the restaurant if you can.
- Discover unique experiences. Many businesses offer workshops and classes such as creative art studios, music lessons, cooking and nutrition lessons, fitness classes, and more. Participating in events and workshops helps you stay connected to these businesses and build a community around their services.
Looking for local gift ideas?
5 Gifts for Foodies:
Hawksview Honey Honey Jar (375mL) $9 | Grape Leaves Food Garlic Sauce (16oz) $7 | The Cheese Bar Charcuterie & Cheese DIY Kit $44 | Dressed by an Olive 6-Pack Olive Oil/Vinegar $30 | Little Foot Foods Mix n’ Match Pierogi (4packs) $35
Vegan Gift Ideas:
Lee & Maria’s Market Sprout Bin Delivery Box $34 | The Vegan Gardiners Garlic Dippin’ Sauce $10 | La Belle Fromage Charcuterie Tray $45 | Plant Joy Decadent Donut $6 | nooch. a vegan eatery Gift Cards
5 Gifts for Mom:
Sweet Ideas for the One On The Go:
Dutch Boys Chocolate Classic Truffle Collection | Sweetness Chocolate Lemon Buttermilk Chess Pie Chocolate | Little Food Foods Classic Cheddar Pierogis | Thyme To-Go Gift Card | Macro Foods Meals to Go | Green Heart Kitchen Gift Card
5 Gifts for Dad:
For The Coffee Lover:
I Luv Coffee Roasters Gord’s Chai Latte Mix $11 | Red Lantern Coffee Co. Colombian Las Mantanas Huila – Medium Roast $15 | Chance Coffee Heart Eyes Monthly Subscription $40 | Green Bean Cafe Green Bean Coffee $15 | Anchor Coffee Anchor Keep Cup $28
5 Gifts Under $20:
Walkerville Candles Black Cherry Candle | Ocean Bottom Soap Company Goat’s Milk & Honey | Sweet Revenge Bake Shop Macaron box (6) | Pawsitively A Dog Thing Apple Carrot Barkscotti | Pretzel King 6 pack of Pretzels
enter our “40 Days of Giveaways” contest
We put together a select list of the perfect gifts for the holiday season from some of our featured W.E. Made It partners – and you have the chance to win 1 of 40 grand prizes! Now the hard decision if you win – give as gifts or keep for yourself!
To view the rest of our 2020 Holiday Gift Guide, just click here to go back to the main page.
The 2020 Holiday Gift Guide is in partnership with the Windsor-Essex Small Business Centre , the Windsor-Essex Regional Chamber of Commerce, the Ontario Greenhouse & Vegetable Growers Association and our W.E. Made It program created by Tourism Windsor Essex Pelee Island, and partners participating in their programs.